While there are a lot of new features coming in this release, there are some in particular that I've been more involved with.
- SDcard support. Numerous laptops can now use SDcard and MultiMediaCard media directly. A good way to know if you're laptop is one of them is to search for pciclass,0805 in the output of prtconf -vp. While it isn't completely conclusive (in particular some models from Texas Instruments are schizophrenic here), if you see this, there's an excellent chance it will work. I'd always like to hear feedback about this feature -- if your unit works, or doesn't work, let me know. (Also, of course, the Tadpole SPARCLE models are supported. )
- AudioHD improvements. Notably, many more laptops will now have working audio. The audiohd driver is also updated to support Suspend/Resume.
- Fast Reboot. I participated as a consultant. I'll also be updating (post OpenSolaris 2008.11) additional drivers to support this feature. The upshot of this project is that a healthy system can reboot much more quickly now.
- Brussels (NIC Administration). I've participated in converting several drivers to Brussels, and in generally improving Brussels (I'm also the ARC sponsor for this work.) The upshot of this project is greatly improved manageability for network interfaces.
- Suspend (S3) Support. I helped review the conversions of several drivers, and provided fixes for several NIC devices.
- Bug Fixes. I've worked on a number of them, and of course, there are huge numbers of bugs that have been fixed in this release.